Panzer Grenadier (Atari 8-Bit, 5 1/4" Disk) Strategic Simulations, Inc. - 1985 USA, Canada Release
|Media||5 1/4" Disk|
|Publisher(s)||Strategic Simulations, Inc.|
|Category(s)||Entertainment, Simulation, Wargame, World War II Wargame|
|Country of Origin||United States of America|
Description from the packaging.
A wargame of German armored infantry on the Eastern Front.
Not Your Run-Of-The-Mill Infantry.
Imagine a bleak battlefield on the Eastern Front in World War II. Panzer tanks rush forward in an awesome display of fire and steel. Yet for all their fury and firepower, they are not enough to achieve the objective of war: Conquer territory. Someone has to go into the woods, the towns to make sure that the territory is actually taken. That "someone" is infantry. But not just any infantry.
What the German Army needs is infantry that can keep up with the blazing offensive charge of its Panzer tanks. Not possible? Well, meet the Panzer Grenadiers: Soldiers on halftracks, trucks and armored vehicles with impressive speed and explosive firepower. And best of all, they are yours to command.
In this exciting solitaire wargame, you make the decisions for a regiment of this elite armored infantry attached to the Grossdeutschland Panzer Grenadier Division. Your forces also include mortar, artillery, Panzer IV, Panther and Tiger units fiercely challenge you with its own complement of infantry, tanks and anti-tank guns.
Be prepared for some heavy fighting when you play the five historical scenarios provided. Your missions include:
- Taking and holding crucial bridgeheads while forcing the Russians back across the Lutchessa River in late '42.
- Participating in Hitler's Operation Citadel (summer '43) to penetrate the Russian lines and to cut off the Kursk salient.
- Breaking up the Russian counterattack in Kirovograd to stabilize your defensive line when things were going badly for the Germans in early '44.
With three levels of difficulty to accommodate players of all skills, the action never lets up!
Joystick control makes for a fast and fun game while the Hi-Res scrolling screen keeps the action on colorful battlefield dotted with rivers, buildings, bridges, ridges and woods. Each tank symbol represents a platoon, each infantry unit, a company.
- Platoon/company-level game with tank units containing 3 to 5 tanks.
- Smooth scrolling colorful graphics depicting rivers, buildings, bridges, ridges, and woods.
- Five scenarios depicting elements of the Grossdeurschland Panzer grenadier division in various actions on the Eastern Front.
- Unit types include trucks, halftracks, machine guns, engineers (pioneers), mortars, artillery, self-propelled artillery, assault guns, motorcycles, armored cars, Panzer IV and Tiger tanks.
- Three levels of difficulty. Atari and C64 versions controlled by joystick.
- Solitaire play only.
Panzer Grenadier was designed by Roger Damon whose other works includes SSI's Field of Fire.
Playing Time: 1 to 2 Hours.